Pittsburgh Gazette Times, April 18, 1920, Sixth section, page 2:
"The Radio Amateur" By C. E. Urban.
On Saturday night, April 10, four different radio-phones took turns in rendering a selection of music which made one of the finest wireless concerts of the season. These phones were at the stations of Frank Conrad, John E. Coleman, Carnegie Tech and Grove City College.
(Portland) Oregonian, May 4, 1920, page 1:
MUSIC FOR DANCING CONVEYED BY RADIO
MAGNAVOX AND TWO ELECTRIC WIRES WORK WONDER.
Only Shortcoming of Experiment at Pittsburg Is That Jazz of Drums Fails to Carry.
PITTSBURG, Pa., May 3.--(Special.) Music was transmitted half a mile by radio here and was sufficiently loud at the receiving end for dancing, according to announcement today from the University of Pittsburg, which with the Carnegie Institute of Technology conducted the experiment Saturday night.
The "Tech" orchestra sat in Central hall and played a jazz tune, while the Pittsburg university students gathered in Heinz house, half a mile away, and danced two numbers. Professor Edwin R. Rath at the experiment station of the university transferred the music by the use of a magnavox and two strings of electric wires.
The Pitt experiment station is nearly a half mile from Tech hall and Heinz house is equally distant from the experiment station and the hall. In this roundabout way the music was transmitted a distance of a mile. The magnavox, Professor Rath explained, is an instrument which was used widely in military operations to increase the sound from a radio receiver.
The only shortcoming of the experiment was that the jazz of the drums was missing, the receiver apparently being adjusted to take only the sound waves of the horn and stringed instruments.
Scores of radio students in the district reported today having "listened in" on the music.
The (Carnegie Institute) Tartan, May 5, 1920 (original text is at the Carnegie Tech Radio Club Wiki: Club History):
RADIO CLUB'S ACTIVITIES
Editor's Jazz Music Transmitted by Wireless
The Radio Club of Carnegie Tech came into the limelight last Saturday when they staged the best radio-concert that has been given in this district to the writer's knowledge it is the first of its kind in history.
On Saturday afternoon Corderman and Kauffman two of it's most active members procured some wire and connected a telephone transmitter in the Union to the Signal Corps Radio-Telephone set which is located in the Tower of Machinery Hall.
The music furnished by "Dutch" Emerich's Jazzbo Quintet was transmitted in all directions from Carnegie Tech by radio. Previous experiments have proven that this music could be heard at a distance of fifty miles. Many reports have come in that the music was very much enjoyed by all concerned. Incidentally, Pitt heard it too. Aren't they grand.
The next regular meeting of the club will be held in Room 104, Machinery Hall on the evening of Tuesday, May 11 at 7:30 p.m. Membership blanks for joining the American Institute of Radio Engineers will be available at that time. Come and bring your friends.
A short business meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. to elect officers for next year. All members come out for this meeting.
Pittsburgh Post, May 5, 1920, page 7:
Two Dances; 1 Band
Dancing to the music of an orchestra located in a distant part of the city is fast coming into vogue. Practical use of the radio system of the Carnegie Institute of Technology is planned for the night of May 14, when two dances in buildings will be carried on with the aid of only one orchestra. In connection with the Campus Week celebrations, arrangements have been made for the alumni dance in Carnegie Union and for an undergraduate dance in the foyer of the building of the division of the arts, on the same evening.